The original 30 acres of the Rancheria were purchased August 15, 1923, under the Landless and Homeless Act; in which the U.S. Congress provided funds to purchase land for Landless and Homeless California Indians.
On June 6, 1975, Clifton C. Cramer and Betty G. Cramer performed a Quit Claim conveyance of the old Indian Cemetary consisting of 0.53 acres to the Bureau of Indian Affairs to hold into trust for the Susanville Indian Rancheria. The Bureau of Indian Affairs accepted this conveyance on December 7, 1981.
An additional 120 acres was added to the Rancheria on October 14, 1978, under the special legislation of Public Law 95-459 which was sponsored by the honorable Congressman Bizz Johnson.
Another 80 acres was donated to the Rancheria in 1994 that has not been put in to Federal Trust status. An additional 72 acres located at the Sierra Army Depot based in Herlong, CA, was acquired from the U.S. Department of the Army under the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) and added to the Rancheria on November 6, 2000.
The Susanville Indian Rancheria Housing Authority purchased 3.21 acres on December 30, 2000, transferred that land to the tribe, and the land was accepted into trust status on January 5, 2004.
On March 29, 2002, the tribe purchased an additional 875 acres adjacent to the Upper Rancheria utilizing proceeds from the casino loan from the Marshall Group and this land was accepted into trust status on December 8, 2004.
On September 30, 2003, the tribe purchased 160 acres located close to Antelope Lake – The Cradle Valley Ranch.
On January 28, 2016, the Susanville Indian Rancheria Corporation (SIRCO) signed a Grant Deed transferring 10.45 acres of the Guitierez property that are adjacent to west side of Paul Bunyan Road to the tribe at no cost.
Congressman Doug LaMalfa (R-CA-1) introduced H.R. 2212 on May 1, 2015, seeking to transfer 301 acres of Federal Land that the Bureau of Land Management had identified as excess property to the tribe. On June 22, 2016, President Obama signed Public Law 114-181 that transferred these lands into trust for the benefit of the Susanville Indian Rancheria.
On September 12, 2016, after the passage of a ballot measure approving the purchase of the Guitierez property to the east side of Paul Bunyan Road, the Susanville Indian Rancheria purchased five parcels of land totaling 37.17 acres. This additional land brings the total land base of the tribe to 1,401.74 acres in trust status and 287.62 acres in fee status.
Our Federal Recognition
The tribe elected to charter under authority of the Indian Reorganization Act (IRA) of 1934 and thus the initial Rancheria Constitution and Bylaws were approved by the Secretary of the Interior on March 3, 1969.
The anthropological tribes associated with the Susanville Indian Rancheria are: Maidu, Paiute, Pit River, and Washoe. The Federal Government, however, through the Department of the Interior recognizes political entities and not the anthropological entities.
The Susanville Indian Rancheria, although it is made up of various tribes, is recognized as a distinct (political) entity from the other tribes who make up the Susanville membership. There is no dual membership allowed in the Constitution.
The governing body of the Susanville Indian Rancheria is the General Council, which is composed of all tribal members who are at least eighteen years old. The General Council has delegated the responsibility of running the day-to-day business of the Rancheria to the Tribal Business Council, which is a seven-member board. The members are elected by the General Council members every three years. The officers of the Tribal Business Council are: Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary/Treasurer.